Three exams down, two to go.
Just thought I’d post a link to my Dr Dobbs Journal article on
AspNetEdit. It went out about 6 months
ago, but I hadn’t got round to linking to it yet. It explains a little bit about
the reason for AspNetEdit, and the technologies used to bring it to fruition.
There’s a terrible photo of me in the article as well ;-)
Well, it’s exam time again. Five in total; first one on Monday, and the last is
two days after I find out whether I’ve been accepted for the Summer of Code 2006.
Not enjoying revision, and these exams – third year – are very
I have recently upgraded to Drupal 4.7, and it’s fantastic. However, the Project
module upgrade didn’t work (probably because I use Postgres) so I’ve only just
got round to installing it again.
My friend Theo Currie has a website with some pretty cool photos.
I’ve been thinking about how the ASP.NET Visual Designer should work with CSS
and good semantic markup, and I’ve been thinking a lot about the role of both of
these in the Web. In particular, what part do they play with
I’m cleaning up some of AspNetEdit’s widgets, the Toolbox and the PropertyGrid.
My original plan was to use GTK#’s TreeView for both, but while working on the
toolbox I realised that it may not be the best solution for this particular
Okay, I admit it, so far I’ve been “cheating”, rendering the page to a temp file
every time something changes. No longer! I present to you the all-singing,
all-dancing Mozilla editor version. You can select controls on the surface, type
text straight into the page, resize controls, and drag-n-drop! This is the first
you’ll have seen of my co-conspirator Blago’s
work, but trust me, it’s been worth the wait.
I’ve finally committed the ASP.NET Graphical Designer to Mono Subversion, module
‘aspeditor’. It’s unimaginatively codenamed AspNetEdit. If anyone really wants
to play with it, please be aware that right now it doesn’t do an awful lot. Also
it requires Mono class libraries hot out of SVN. I would advise waiting till an
actual release the beginning of September; I’ll keep my blog updated with
Okay, it’s not quite as exciting as the title suggests. I’ve been hacking away
on the Services and Component Model, and have reached the stage where I can
display controls, select them from a drop-down list, change their properties,
and have the change reflected on the design surface.
The inbound (Mono -> Gecko) C++ DOM function is working fine and I can recieve a
There was a bit of trouble initially as I couldn’t obtain an nsIWebBrowser
pointer from gtk_moz_embed_get_nsIWebBrowser. This turned out to be because the
Gecko# WebControl hadn’t been shown yet (i.e. window.ShowAll()), but I didn’t
figure this out as other functions like gtk_moz_embed_get_location worked